Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My List of 35 Fantastic Things

So tomorrow is my 36th birthday. I find lately that I get so caught up in the day to day rush of things, that I have forgotten to pause and take a breath...stop and smell the roses...focus on the little things. So I decided this morning that I was going to attempt to do 35 fantastic things before the day was done. They could be things that I have never done before, or learn something new about the world around me, or even just let someone know how much they mean to me. Honestly I wasn't sure that I would be able to finish the task. 35 things is a lot to accomplish in one day on top of all the other normal things. So, I thought I would just give it my best shot and see how it goes. I wanted to share my list with you here. Some of the things on my list may seem silly or small....but honestly I look at the big picture and it makes me smile. This whole day made me smile because I actually took quite a few pauses during my day to think....to try and decide what I could do next that would be fun or different. I am a huge believer in the idea of once we stop trying to better ourselves and once we stop trying to learn.....the world will seem like a sad and pointless place. I would much rather squeeze every last moment of fantasticness out of each and every day.

1) I wrote a message to my parents to tell them how greatful I am for all that they did for me growing up and all that they continue to do for me to this day. My parents live in the US and I live in Canada, so I don't have the privilege of seeing them except for once a year. I envy those that get to have their children spend time with their grandparents frequently. Writing them made me feel good because I was able to express how much I love them and appreciate them.

2) I wrote a message to a special friend of ours that is a huge inspiration. She is an adult living with T1, she is one of our biggest cheerleaders, she is smart, funny, has a kind and generous soul, she has a contagious zest for life, and I wanted her to know how amazing I think she is.

3) I called a customer service number today for the makers of Orville Redenbachers flavour shakers popcorn to tell them that the box I bought last was missing Emma's favorite white cheddar flavour shaker powder. The woman I spoke with was incredibly nice and during our 20 min conversation I learned that her husband has T1 and that popcorn has as many antioxidants in it as many fruits. It's a fabulous snack.

4) I laid down in the snow all by myself and made a snow angel. Why? Because it was fun and because I haven't ever done one by myself as an adult before.

5) Emma taught me how to do two new dance moves at lunch time. I am a horrible dancer, but it's fun to do and even more fun when my daughter does it with me.

6) I bought a coffee for the woman behind me in line at Tim Hortons. Why? Because I could...and because I wanted to see her frown turn upside down. It worked.

7) I spent a full 20 min playing with our cat. Sometimes I feel like she is overlooked because we are so busy and I feel guilty about that because I love her. So, I played with her and cuddled her and told her I love her and thanked her for being such an awesome cat.

8) At dinner, we ate dessert first. I giggled at the delicious irony of this as I ate my ice cream first....seeing as how diabetes lives in our house.

9) I played a game with my kid. Again....we get so caught up and busy with our days lately that it's been a while since we have gotten a chance to sit down together and play a game.

10) I actually answered the door and was polite to a Jehovah's Witness. Nothing against the Jehovah's Witness people of the world. I just usually would prefer to not answer the door because I have no desire to convert. I answered today though. I smiled and said thank you as she gave me her booklet and I told her to have a nice day.

11) I learned that there are 16 grams of carbs in 1/2 a cup of pomegranate seeds. My friend and our dietician at the diabetes clinic gave me this information and I was greatful because Emma has a new four love for pomegranates.

12) I hugged Emma. A lot. All day. Because I am greatful for her presence...her love...her beauty.

13) I learned that a gallon of gas was only 62 cents the year I was born. I got gas today and it was $5.16 a gallon. Crazy.

14) I learned that one of the top movies out the year I was born was "Rocky"...which I find ironic and funny because it is one of my favorite movies.

15) I learned how to say "Happy Birthday" in German..."Alles gute zum Begurstag!"

16) I watched cartoons all afternoon. Why? Because cartoons are good. Cartoons are easy and light and fun and they make me laugh.

17) I made something new today. Emma told me that it would be awesome if I made an insulin pump charm necklace. So I made one. It's adorable.

18) I realized that I have some pretty amazing friends out there in the world when I opened my mailbox to discover a birthday card from another D-Mom...one who I speak to online quite often, but have only seen in person twice. She made my day. Honestly her kind gesture brought tears to my eyes. I am a lucky girl.

19) I ate a raw baby carrot that was dipped in ketchup. Why? Because my kid told me I should because it "tastes kind of like a funny tasting french fry." She was right. However it was gross.

20) I actually received a compliment from someone today and I accepted it. I didn't brush it off or get embarassed or quickly turn it around to them. I accepted it. I thanked them. For me, that is huge. I do not handle taking compliments or praise very well at all.

21) I touched my wedding ring every time I thought about my husband today. I lost count after 20 times.

22) I talked to my Grandpa in Heaven. I dont know if you would call that praying or not, but whatever its called...I did it. I told him how much I miss him and love him and wish that he could still be here so he could meet Emma. I told him that I hope he is proud of me and who I have become as an adult. I told him I would give anything to be able to hug him and hear him laugh just one more time.

23) I talked to my mother in law in Heaven. I told her the same things. I also told her that I wish I could drink a Cesar with her again. That was OUR drink together. I miss it. I miss her.

24) I came up with a surprise for Emma on her birthday next week...exactly one week after mine...on Valentines Day. I like to surprise her with something special while she is at school...and I think I came up with a great one this year.

25) I doubted my ability to be able to finish this list of 35 things. Then I realized that I doubt my abilities too much in life and I need to stop it. So I moved on.

26) Emma and I made a spur of the moment detour on our way to Walmart and decided to climb to the top of the big hill beside her school. I have never climbed it with her. I have never climbed it in the winter. We made it. It was hard because it was slippery all covered in snow...but we made it. I was inspired by my daughter as I saw her race ahead of me bouncing from foot to foot as I struggled to catch my breath and not fall on my face. We made it to the top and the view was beautiful. It was dusk and all of the store and house and street lights were on. The sky was that breathtakingly beautiful purple color. We stood at the top of the hill and raised our hands above our heads in victory.

27) We slid down the hill together...hand in hand...on our bums. It was cold and wet and I hate the feeling of wet jeans....but it was worth it. My bum cheeks were numb at the bottom, but it was worth it because I got to hold her hand and giggle like an 8 year old girl with her the whole way down.

28) I smiled at the Walmart greeter and said hello. She had kind eyes and a sweet grandmotherly type smile.

29) I let Emma push the cart around the store without any help. She loves to do it. I usually get a little nervous that she will accidentally plow into someone or take out a shelf display...but she didnt tonight. She had fun. I think it made it feel grown up.

30) I bought her a new winter hat....not because she needs one...trust me, she has many...i think I have a problem with hats actually....I bought it because it was Animal from the Muppets and my brother used to have an Animal toy...and now everytime she wears that hat it will make me think of him.

31) I relished in the 5.5 blood sugar she had in Walmart. Perfect blood sugars should be relished....and Im not talking about the condiment...Im talking about the savoring of the goodness that is victory in the blood sugar arts.

32) I sang along at the top of my lungs to the song on the radio in the car on the ride home with Emma. This is not an unusual scenario....but it is a favorite thing to do. We need to do more of our favorite things more often.

33) I realized that I was almost done with my list and it made me sad....and yet relieved.

34) I treated a low blood sugar at bedtime. One of many. Im sure there will be counteless more to come in our lives. I was happy that I have the ability to treat it. Im greatful for the tools I have available to me in this daily life with diabetes.

and finally.....

35) I looked in the mirror and told myself that I am smart. I told myself that I am pretty...that I am funny....that I am a good Mom...that I love my family...and that I even love myself.

Making this list was fun. It taught me a lot about myself. I think I may even do it again next year.

4 comments: