Monday, November 26, 2012

Epic Role Reversal

It's the little things that really make you take notice. It's the little things that matter. It's the little things that prove to you that the big picture is really taking shape. It's the little things.
I've been so busy lately that I haven't had much spare time for anything...including making sure that I eat meals. I know...it sounds so stupid and I feel so stupid for even saying something like that. I know whenever I heard people say things like that, I always thought...really?....how could you seriously not find time in your day to just grab a quick sandwich or a bowl of soup....yogurt...a banana..something? Well, I get it now. I get how that special kind of busy feels where you literally have NO time to eat.
Well, for those of you that aren't in the know...I actually have hypoglycemia. I did the 'ol blood test...drank the disgusting drink...the whole deal...and was "officially" diagnosed as hypoglycemic. SO, that means I am supposed to eat several small meals throughout the day to avoid low blood sugars. I'm supposed to focus on the protein, the starches...basically the same foods I would give my own kid to keep her blood sugar at a steady number over night.
Well, I'm not always the greatest at remembering to take care of me. I'm not the best at focusing enough energy doing things to keep myself healthy. As a Mom, it's hard to do.....as a D-Mom, even harder. We spend our days so focused on keeping our kids healthy and their blood sugars in check, that we often times forget about ourselves.

Get to the point about the little things mattering the most already, Amy? Right?

Ok, well this weekend I had eaten breakfast...been too busy to eat lunch...and found myself laying on the couch mid afternoon, unable to have a clear thought, feeling like my head was full of mud, black spots dancing across my vision, my stomach nauseous, the room spinning, whole body shaking, arms and legs and fingers and toes feeling that old familiar tingling sensation I get when I am low. I hate that feeling. It's gross. That is the only word I can think of to describe it....gross. Well, Emma is familiar with low blood sugars. She knows what they feel like obviously and she knows what I look like when I am low. She saw me laying there....walked into the kitchen and grabbed a juice and ritz crackers with cheese. She handed it to me. She even opened up the straw on the juice box and popped it in the box for me. She did this all of her own free will. She saw the low. She reacted. She fixed it. She knows. She gets it because she has lived it and has learned it. She saved me.

Talk about your epic role reversal, eh?

It's the big things....that are really in disguise as the little things. That's what matters.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, love that girl!!


    ...and take better care of you, silly, so you can keep taking care of her!!

    ReplyDelete