Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ironic role reversal

Sometimes I forget. I forget that not everyone in the world knows about diabetes...about insulin pumps...about bolusing and basal rates. Sometimes I forget that not everyone that comes into contact with Emma on a daily basis knows all of this stuff....has 4+ years experience with this stuff.
I posted before about Emma's new teacher being incredible....helping, learning, caring....it's all good stuff and I am eternally greatful. However, I need to remember that she has only been doing this for coming up on two weeks now. I need to remember to tell her the little things. I need to do things to ease her worry and stress. I need to make sure that SHE is ok with everything.
For example, today Emma's school walked to the church for mass for the first time this year. Way back in kindergarten, I used to panic because it's not exactly a quick little jaunt around the corner....it's actually a bit of a trek down a busy street. So, to help ease my own worry and the teacher's worry...I would drive to the school, pick Emma up, drive her to church, stay there with them, and then drive her back to the school afterwards. I eliminated the extra activity of walking with the hopes of avoiding low blood sugars. It worked for us. I managed to do the same thing for 1st grade and the majority of 2nd grade as well. Near the end of 2nd grade, Emma decided that she didn't want me around for church visits. She didn't want to be the only one who's Mom was there. See, she is 8 years old now.....time for taking those first steps out into independence and time for fitting in with your friends. I was ok with that....so we talked, prepared, and I stepped back...I let her do it on her own...and she did well! Which brings us to today. Emma was all ready to resume the independence thing and not have me there at church again. I was ready to do my own thing and be greatful for the extra time to myself. That is until her teacher looked at me with worry and nervousness in her eyes and asked if I would mind coming along for the first church mass. She wasn't ready to be on the independence train yet...and i can't say that I blame her! After 2 weeks of diabetes living in my house, I was afraid to even leave the neighborhood!
So, I explained to Emma that we needed to be understanding and patient and give her teacher a chance to see that everything would be alright. We needed to let her see that we can do it and that all will be well........and if something turned out to NOT be well....that you know what to do to fix it. So, I went. I sat far away from Emma so as not to infringe on her coolness factor. I could still see her from where I was and, as always, I was ready to step in if she needed me.
To make a long story short, all went well. Her teacher gave her a hug before we left to go home for lunch which made me smile. I think it was a hug of relief and a hug of gratitude for Emma's understanding how that made her teacher feel more comfortable.
It's a funny thing really if you think about it......we as d-families have a tendency to be surrounded by people who want to make sure we are comfortable...that we are ok...that all is good. But as the years go by, I am finding myself more and more trying to make sure that OTHER people in our d-life feel comfortable and ok with it all. A little bit of ironic role reversal never hurt anyone, I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. What a great perspective! It is true that we are asking the world of those who we entrust our Dkiddos to...a great thing to consider their "comfortableness" (is that a word?) with it all.

    And I can SO relate to the "not cool to have mom around anymore" routine. My daughter is 9, and the last year and a half she has been asking for more and more independence. Pat yourself on the back for the work you have done to this point, so that she feels that she can be independent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Sometimes we do forget that others don't do this all day, every day. Good for the teacher for speaking up and asking you to come along...it goes a long way for us to meet their needs so they are ready and willing to meet the needs of our kids! (MUST remember that!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So.Very.True.

    I see it all the time in Joe's life lately. He has been spreading his wings quite a bit. I forget that not everyone is as comfortable with all this jazz...and may need a little more support until their comfort level increases.

    ReplyDelete