Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Elvis impersonating ambassador

Yesterday JDRF called and asked me if Emma would be a youth ambassador for 2011. Emma was at school at the time, so I had to wait until I got her for lunch to ask her what she thought before I gave an answer. So, lunchtime rolled around and I asked her if she would like to, no surprise... she was all for it! I am so proud of her and what she has accomplished in her life already! If she has done all of these things by 6 years old...I can't even imagine what she will have done by the time she is my age even. Anyway, I explained to her what being a youth ambassador would all involve...speaking at various JDRF events, etc. and that she would need to share her story to a lot of people and tell them what a cure would mean to her. She makes me laugh though because after we talked about it I asked her to go wash her hands and get ready for lunch. A few minutes passed and I heard some talking going on in the bathroom so I peeked around the corner and there she was standing in front of the mirror looking at herself with her hand on one hip and saying, "Hi! My name is Emma..and I will be 7 years old. I got diabetes when I was 4 and WE NEED YOUR MONEYYYY to find a cure! Thank you very much!" That last part was said in her best Elvis voice by the way...lol. She is forever making faces in the mirror at herself and being goofy. I wish I could remember more about when I was 6...it's definitely a fun age! I can't wait to see what she will be like as a grown up. If how she acts now at 6 years old is any indication of what's to come...I love it! She is eerily good at impersonations and doing silly voices...i think she gets it from my brother actually. I am forever asking her to say something in a British accent...or talk like Shrek just cause it is hilarious. Picture a 6 year old girl saying "Ello Gov'nah! Would you care for a spot o' tea?" It's impossible not to laugh! Anyway, like any other parent out there...I want good things for her in life. I hope that she can have fun in whatever she does and makes a difference in the world. I hope that she does whatever will make her happy. If that turns out to be dressing up like Elvis to spread awareness about diabetes...then i will be right there in the front row cheering her on and wearing my rhinestone jump suit to show support.

1 comment: