Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sparkly eyes club

I'm starting to realize that this blog is quickly becoming like a little therapy session for me. Well, I have quite a lot swarming around in my head at the moment and i think I will dump it all out here again. Today Emma and I went to our first diabetes playgroup and we had a fantastic time. It was really great to meet other families dealing with diabetes and Emma had a blast playing with all the kids. As I was sitting there though, I couldn't help but think how strange it all is. How odd it was that there i was sitting in someone's living room that I had never met in person before. How odd it was that this one specific thing brings us together. How we all have this strange connection and bond of complete understanding and sympathy. Diabetes is an odd thing sometimes. We have really met some amazing people over these past 2 years of dealing with diabetes. It sort of makes me feel like we are all part of a club...none of us signed up to become members, but here we all are paying our dues on a daily basis! I don't know if any of you reading this have ever noticed this...but whenever i meet a fellow diabetic parent or diabetic themselves, they all have this same spark in their eye. They say the eyes are the window into your soul...and I really believe that. Someone dealing with diabetes every day seems to have this spark in their eye...it shows the rest of the world their fight, their pain, their hope, anger, sadness, fierce love and protection for their child. That spark is always there. I often wonder what my life would be like if Emma had never been diagnosed. Would she and I still have the same closeness we have now? Would I still feel the same compassion that I do for others struggling? Would I be as understanding or patient? I guess I will never know the answers. In the meantime, I suppose I will just keep on keeping on and hope that my spark stays strong and bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment