Monday, October 25, 2010

The Facts of Life for me

I love when you start your day just like normal...just like every other day...going about your usual routine...and then something happens to change your perspective on things. I am a big believer in the concept of everything happens for a reason. Life is all about karma and balance. You take the good, you take the bad, and there you have the facts of life...the facts of life!!! lololol...sorry...that just sort of slipped out on me. Cut me some slack though, I grew up in the 80's watching "Family Ties", "Facts of Life", and "Different Strokes." Anyway, to get back to the topic at hand...I think we all get stuck in our usual day to day routines. I could be wrong, but i think this applies more so to families of diabetics as well. Wake up, needles, blood sugars, eat, dressed, school, etc. At times it seems like one continuous cycle repeated over and over again. Well, this routine is what I was following today up until I took Emma to school this morning. I was talking to another mom there and she started telling me about some personal problems she was going through. I felt so bad for her and her children and I offered to help in any way I could. After talking for a bit, we parted ways and drove away from the school. It got me thinking though that you never really know what is truly going on for people. We are all pretty good at putting on that smile and brave face and acting like everything is ok, when really it is the complete opposite. I wish that the world wasn't that way...I wish that more people would be there for others. I wish that everyone actually honestly cared about others and wanted the best for them. The world is a pretty jaded place and we tend to focus on only our little bubble in life. Maybe it is just the eternal hippie attitude coming out in me...but I just don't understand why or when people stopped caring about others. Is it really so hard to give someone 2 minutes out of your day to just be there to listen to them and offer support? A smile? A hug? It baffles me how most people out there in the big bad world could really care less about any one except themselves. I guess because I am not wired that way. I can't just look the other way when I see someone being treated unfairly...I can't turn off the urge to help someone or be there for someone if they need me. Like I have said before, since diabetes came into our lives I have met more than my fair share of ignorant people....but on the flip side of that coin, I have also met some of the most kind and caring and truly GOOD people too. Sympathy and understanding and support are 3 very important things. I wish more people in the world knew how to display those 3 things...the world would be a much better place for my daughter to grow up in.

No comments:

Post a Comment